Sunday, September 1, 2013

Musings on Classroom Dojo and Other External Motivators


I think the most important thing a teacher can do is build relationships with their students, and build a classroom community where respect and contributions are valued and expected.  I think we need to use careful language with students that encourages positive behavior and builds identities for students as contributing members of the class.  I think we need to teach students that feelings, good and bad, are normal and ok. They can handle these feelings appropriately and safely, and they can set goals to improve...Teaching without tricks, or virtual tasers, or marbles in a jar, or color cards, is harder.  It takes longer.  It is not easy.  But teachers are up to the job.  Building children that are self motivated, that do the right thing simply because it is the right thing, and that treat others with patience and respect is a long, complicated job.  So let’s start doing it properly, because they are worth it.   --   Thinking About Classroom Dojo - Why Not Just Tase Your Kids Instead by Teaching Ace
Oh, Teaching Ace.  You got in my head.  Is is scary in there?  I bet it's dark.  Since you are in there, you KNOW I am all about the data. You probably see the little pleasure center in my brain that is related to numbers and tracking progress and watching growth. I love me some numbers when it comes to changing behavior.  And, come on. Slick things like Class Dojo make collecting the numbers so eeeasy.  But you nailed it when you said this program, when publicly administered, is shaming, pure and simple.  And you're right, we also use other, less-fancy shaming tools  --  charts, clips, names on the board.  They are all well-meaning attempts to "motivate" students from the outside in. Even our cutesy pom pom jars, magic sprinkles, and power pellets are guilty of this outside-in thinking.


So why do we continue to use these?  Why do I -- the psychologist who is supposed to KNOW about these things, who has studied the literature on motivation, who laments the mental health effects of our externally-driven society -- why do I sometimes encourage their use among some teachers in certain classes? 
True confession time...Sometimes I'm in a school or under an administration that requires the use of a visible classroom management system.  And let's be honest, when we research (cough, search Pinterest) such systems, these are the things that come up.   And they're colorful!  And most kids love them!  And they're cute!  And, honestly, when the goal for your classroom is quiet, in-seat, hands-raised behavior, these things can work for a lot of kids.  Like magic.  Dark magic, but magic.
Or sometimes I'm working with a teacher who is resistant or, for whatever reason, unequipped to do the work it takes to foster intrinsic motivation.  And in those situations, when the class is out of control and nobody is learning and something has to be done lickety split, these kinds of things can be the easiest, quickest ways to gain control and take back learning.  Yes, sometimes I get sucked into the quick and easy.
And sometimes I have a great teacher who has the kid.  You know The Kid.  The Kid for whom nothing works.  The Kid who makes the great teacher question her timeline for retirement.  The Kid who, for whatever combination of past history, internal workings, and peer dynamics, thrives on the external.  The Kid who doesn't respond to our best.  And sometimes I have a great teacher who has (gasp) more than one Kid.  

So, in those cases where using external motivators are necessary, we have to do it in the least harmful way.  If at all possible, keep the Dojo off the Smartboard.  Whisper to a child when a clip is to be moved.  Good grief, keep the sarcasm and snark out of your voice.  Live by the 5:1 positive-to-negative magic ratio (but be careful not to get sucked into thinking positive comments aren't crack for most kids).  And use a variable rather than fixed interval if you have to use "stuff" -- it's the easiest to fade.  

I encourage you to read Teaching Ace's post and the comments it generated.  Some of them are rather passionate.  Follow the links she shared.  Think about it.  And when you're ready to step away from marbles, skittles, and colored cards, know that you can do it!  But it won't be easy; sorry.  Teachers are awesome.  You are awesome.  



2 comments:

  1. I read the article by Teaching Ace and I have to say that I was not impressed. I found that it was very judgmental. Your article was much more realistic. The fact is, most of us are teaching our children about making choices and dealing with consequences. We simply use the clip charts and dojo and whatnot as a visual reminder for students. That does not mean that it is put on public display or used to humiliate students. I do not appreciate people that claim that I am "tazing" a student because I give them a green point or change their color. Children have to learn about consequences and for most children, receiving any type of consequence is going to make them feel bad. I am not going to stop giving consequences for poor choices simply because it makes a child feel bad. This is how they learn not to make the same poor choice again. This is how we raise them to become responsible adults. I do not make my systems public. I do not scold children in front of their peers. I do not humiliate children or use sarcasm. I will, however, continue to reward my students for positive behaviors and give consequences for negative behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a living monster. You're a crap teacher, and you rely on evil leftist radicalized Silicon Valley "sweeter than light" icons in order to "teach", which you cannot do.

      Delete